Proceedings: The printed Proceedings (sample, Fullbook in pdf ~57Mb) of the HSci 2005 International Conference are available on request as long as there are copies with a nominal fee to cover package and post expenses. Address relevant inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Hands-on Science: Science in a changing Education
July 13 -16, 2005 -
University of Crete campus at Rethymno - Greece.
- Opening Session
- Welcome Address by P. G. Michaelides, Professor at The University of Crete, htm,  jpg
- Mr. Arcadios Spanoudakis, Regional Director of Education for the Area of Crete, htm (in Greek, interpretation by the Chairman),  jpg
- Dr. E. Kefallinaiou, Special Secretary to the Greek Ministry for Education,   jpg
- Communication from the Portuguese Minister of Science, Prof. Jose Mariano Gago read by Manuel Filipe Costa,   jpg
- Professor A. Hourdakis, Alternate Head of the Department for Primary Education of The University of Crete, htm,  jpg
- Professor N. Papadogiannakis, Dean of The School for Education Sciences of The University of Crete, htm (in Greek, interpretation by the Chairman),  jpg
- Professor Kostas A. Lavdas, Vice-Rector of The University of Crete, formally opens the Conference.   jpg1,   jpg2
- Hon. Tom Kitt T.D., Minister of State to the Taoiseach, Ireland, htm,  jpg
- The coordinator of the Hands on Science project Dr. Manuel Filipe Costa, Professor at the University of Minho,   jpg,
- Plenary sessions
- Manuel F. M. Costa, Science in a changing Education: The contribution of the Hands-on Science network to the improvement of science education. pdf,   jpg
- Suzanne Gatt, Constructivism 25 years on: Its contribution, missed opportunities? pdf,  slides in pdf,  pps,   jpg1,   jpg2,   jpg3  (jpgs from the teleconference)
- C.P. Constantinou, Preparing teachers for cognitive coaching: the case of Physics by Inquiry as an experiential basis for Science learning. pdf,
- Deirdre Knox ,The Junior Certificate Science –Revised Syllabus pdf,  slides in pdf, pps,    jpg1,   jpg2
- Peter Csermely, Szilard Kui, Nine Years of Scientific Research Training in Hungary pdf,   jpg1,   jpg2
- Walter Staveloz ( email@example.com, ECSITE, Belgium), Sixth Framework Programme: Structuring the European Research Area Science and Society – European Science Education Initiative    jpg1,   jpg2,   jpg3,   jpg4
- Papers presented at the Conference
- Authors' Index
- Keywords' Index
- From the Science Fair
- The Science Fair during the Conference was organized at the atrium between the Conference rooms and it was open during the whole period of the Conference.
- You may see the arrangement plan here.
Also pictures 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210.
- Local schools and educators were informed about the Science Fair and at the afternoon of Thursday, July 14, 2005 special time was allotted for teachers and students from the neighbouring schools to visit the Fair.
- From the Comenius contact seminar
- Within the Hsci 2005 International Conference, a Comenius contact seminar week was operating. Participants included representative of the National Socrates Agency from Greece, Comenius promoters, school teachers and other educators from many countries.
- You may see the actual program of the Comenius contact seminar here.
- You may see a (partial) list of participants to the the Comenius contact seminar here.
- You may see a summary of the outcomes of the Comenius contact seminar here.
- You may see a follow up brief here.
- Pictures from the Conference
- Local TV covering the event 017
- During a coffee break 219
- From the Conference Dinner
- Dinner time 232, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 247.
- Cretan folklore dances 003, 004, 005, 006, 007, 008, 009, 010.
- A Hands-on Experience in dancing 249, 250, 251, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 260, 261, 262.
- Informal discussions 014, 233, 244, 245, 246, 252.
- The orchestra 248 and a special performer 226, 227, 228, with success to the young generation 016.
- Some remarks by the Chairman of the Organizing Committee htm.
- A Questionnaire was used to assess the Conference.
- The organizing Committee received 28 (partially) filled questionnaires plus 1 by post. Only in the last one some of the open type questions were filled up.
- For these 29 questionnaires you may see the average scores (click here).
- Although the sample is small, it is evident that:
- the Conference as a scientific event was successful, rated Excellent or Very satisfactory in almost all relevant aspects.
- the cost of the conference is considered rather high. This is due mainly to the replies from the school teachers and justifies the effort of the Organizers to grant free permission to a large number of school teachers and students and to have the Conference open to everyone.
- All the questionnaires are here.
- Special thanks to the Conference secretariat jpg.
The printed Proceedings (sample, Fullbook in pdf ~57Mb) of the HSci 2005 International Conference are available on request as long as there are copies with a nominal fee to cover package and post expenses. Address relevant inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org)