Address any inquiries Here
Orientation Information about Rethimno (July 2005)
The information provided hereafter is meant as a first orientation to the total stranger. For specific information on travelling to Rethimno ask your travel agent.
You may travel to Rethimno:
Upon arrival at the Heraklio or Chania airport (or port):
- From Athens (and many other cities) by plane to Heraklio (Iraklio) or Chania (Hania) and then by bus, by taxi or by hired car to Rethimno,
- From Piraeus (port of Athens) and some other ports by boat to Rethimno,
- From Piraeus (port of Athens) and some other ports by boat to Heraklio (Iraklio) or to Chania (Hania) and then by bus, by taxi or by hired car to Rethimno,
- From Piraeus (port of Athens) and some other ports by boat to Agios Nikolaos and then by bus, by taxi or by hired car Rethimno (relative to the previous choices, the distance and the expenses are almost double.
From the port of Piraeus boats sail:
- You may take a taxi to carry you directly to your hotel in Rethimno. The cost is around
80 Euro - ask beforehand and negotiate the fare. The trip will take about 1 hour (a bit more from Heraklion a bit less from Chania).
- You may take a taxi to the central bus station, take the bus to Rethimno, and then take another taxi to your hotel. Taxi fares are about 4 Euro for every use and the bus fare around 6 Euro. The bus trip is 1h 30 min from Chania and 2h 30 min from Heraklio but some itineraries going trough the villages may take significantly more time. Bus departures are every half hour until 20:30.
- You may hire a car at the airport (or at the port if pre-booked). The cost is around 70 Euro per day but you may negotiate lower prices. As a rule, booking car hire through a travel agent is considerably cheaper.
- In case you reached the airport through a charter flight or using the services of a travel agent it may be possible to get the transfer to/from your hotel and an accommodation at very reasonable prices. In this case, however, inquire if breakfast is included.
The boats sail in the evening and reach their destinations (very) early next the morning. Fares vary in the range of 30 - 90 Euros depending on class. The liners are very comfortable, their restaurants normally serve nice reach meals in reasonable prices (not included in the fare). Bars, Disco, Cinema also operate. The voyage resembles usually a night sea cruise. In periods of increased demand daily voyages are also scheduled. During winter the itineraries are rarer (especially to Rethimno and to Agios Nikolaos.
- one boat to Rethimno almost daily,
- two boats daily to Heraklion,
- two boats daily to Chania,
- one boat to Agios Nicolaos almost daily.
Transportation between Rethimno city and the University (for more details click here)
Weather. The weather in Rethimno is of a typical Mediterranean climate. You may find more specific information at the following links:
- by bus. Bus stops every 500m. It is advisable (and cheaper) to buy a ticket (e.g. from a kiosk) before entering the bus.
- by taxi. The cost is about 3 to 5 Euro depending on the pick-up point with a surcharge (1- 2 Euro) for a telephone appointment.
- by (hired or private) car. The distance from the town centre to the campus is about 4Km.
Have a nice stay in Rethimno!