Originating Innovative methods to learn and teach Knowledge in the field of earth and natural sciences derived from an Original and combined use of applicative Software.
a Leonardo da Vinci project supported by the European Commission
How to reach The University of Crete campus at Rethimno from the city of Rethimno.
- Università degli Studi del Sannio - Prof. Francesco Maria Guadagno(coordinator)
- Morphosis Progetti e Tecnologie Srl - Mario Botte
- Urbater - Eric Leroi
- Associazione Nazionale Insegnanti di Scienze Naturali - Brunella Danesi
- Strago Srl - Giovanni Mannara
- Isle of Wight Centre for the Coastal Environment - Robin G-McInnes
- The Association for Science Education - Derek Bell
- Universitat De Barcelona - Jordi Serra Raventos
- University of Cyprus - C. P. Constantinou
- The University of Crete - P.G. Michaelides
- Escola Superior de Educação de Leiria - Alzira Maria Rascão Saraiva
- Universidad de Zaragoza - Maria Josè Gil Quilez
- Universität Bayreuth - Franz X Bogner
- Umeå Universitet - Oleg Popov
- Universitatea Babeş-Bolyai Cluj-Napoca - Julianna Marchis
OIKOS - a presentation in brief. For more information visit OIKOS main site (click OIKOS).
OIKOS aims at identifying and testing new forms and methods of teaching/learning in the field of Earth sciences, taking into due account the social and economic implications of this branch and with a widened vision of the whole area of the Natural sciences.
To achieve its aims the project focuses on three macro-objectives:
- Objective 1 – the setting up of an innovative didactic methodology, denominated the OIKOS methodology, inspired by methods centred on simulation games (SimCity, SimEarth, SimLife, etc…) and based on the combined use of computer and multimedia tools such as desktop mapping (GIS) software, software for simulation and virtual reality (VR) and expert systems (AI),
- Objective 2 - the setting up of a didactic tool composed of various software applications and a guide procedure acting as a linking interface and making utilities available for integration of the various packages,
- Objective 3 - the setting up of a didactic system for training of the Target Group in the new OIKOS methodology.
The Target Groups include:
- Primary and secondary school teachers teaching subjects inherent to Earth Sciences,
- Teachers, trainers and learning mediators working in the field of Earth Sciences in other formal and non-formal contexts,
- Teachers, trainers and learning mediators working in the field of Natural Sciences.
The OIKOS results may be used by Students in schools at every level. Therefore OIKOS will make available:
- Methods and instruments for teachers/trainers who propose to bring innovation to their didactic strategies,
- Training resources for all training sector employees working in the field of natural sciences and specifically for those working with earth sciences,
- Teaching approaches and Course paths for school students at different levels.
For more information visit OIKOS main site (click OIKOS).
P. G. Michaelides, B.Sc., Ph.D., LL.B.,
Professor at The University of Crete